Michael’s practice includes civil litigation in state and federal courts, transactional services, and general counseling services for domestic and international clients. One of Michael’s areas of expertise in litigation is federal preemption, including matters litigated under the Montreal Convention, Federal Aviation Act, Air Carrier Access Act, and Airline Deregulation Act. Michael has successfully defended numerous lawsuits by dispositive motions based on federal preemption. Michael also specializes in providing prompt and practical general counseling services to companies of all sizes in various industries related to commercial transactions, disputes and litigation, business law, regulatory compliance, and employment matters.
Before joining Victor Rane, Michael worked with Richard Lazenby at a national law firm representing international and domestic clients in litigation and transactional matters.
Michael’s international background and prior experience, which includes the military, aviation, security, and solving problems in various areas of business, make him a valuable asset to the firm and its clients. Michael previously managed an elite security team at Los Angeles International Airport for El Al Israel Airlines, widely known to have the most stringent security in the industry. Michael also served in the military as an infantry commander and instructor. He grew up in the former USSR and Israel, and is fluent in English, Hebrew, and Russian.
Michael’s most recent representative matters include:
- 2021 – obtained complete defense on summary judgment of a personal injury lawsuit in federal court arising from injuries allegedly sustained during turbulence.
- 2021 – obtained dismissal of client in a complex multi-party products liability lawsuit in federal court – with no contribution to settlement by client – after discovery and investigation showed no liability on the part of client.
- 2021 – obtained complete defense on motion for judgment on the pleadings, without leave to amend, of a personal injury lawsuit in federal court arising from alleged disability discrimination.
- 2021 – obtained complete defense on summary judgment of a personal injury lawsuit in state court arising from trip and fall on client’s premises.
- 2021 – negotiated voluntary dismissal of claims against client – with no money paid in settlement – after filing motion for summary judgment in a personal injury lawsuit in state court arising from injuries sustained during provision of wheelchair services.
- 2021 – negotiated early nuisance value settlement for defense of client in a multi-million dollar wrongful death lawsuit after conducting investigation and discovery that refuted plaintiffs’ allegations.
- 2020 – represented manufacturer in a major commercial transaction with a global food and beverage supplier.
- 2020 – negotiated complete dismissal for nuisance value of a personal injury claim in federal court arising from a physical altercation between two guests on client’s premises.
- 2020 – negotiated voluntary dismissal –with no money paid in settlement– of disability discrimination claim in federal court arising from an alleged refusal to accommodate a guest following discovery which showed no liability on the part of client under federal law.
- UCLA School of Law – Juris Doctorate
- UCLA – Bachelor of Arts
- California State Bar
- Central District of California
- Northern District of California
- Southern District of California
- Eastern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit