Jonathan Stern’s practice focuses on aerospace-related litigation, including personal injury and wrongful death cases involving aviation products or aviation operations, civil rights cases against airlines, and insurance coverage and claims handling matters. He has guided the world’s largest aviation insurers through complex coverage matters, including several that arose out of the 9/11 attacks.
Jon brings to the law practical experience in, and knowledge of, the aviation industry. He has worked as an aviation research analyst, writing amendments to the Federal Aviation Regulations, a flight instructor, preparing students for their private and commercial pilot and instrument rating exams, and an air traffic controller, guiding airliners to a safe landing at Washington National Airport.
Jon recently led the defense of a major airline following an in-flight catastrophic failure of an engine, successfully pursued insurance coverage from a vendor’s insurer for an airport operator, and guided aviation insurers in challenging claims handling matters.
- Recognized by The American Registry as Washington D.C.’s Top Lawyers 2024
- Recognized by Chambers USA for nationwide aviation litigation (Band 2)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America for Aviation Law
- Listed as Leading Aviation Attorney by Aviation Expert Guides
- Listed in The International Who’s Who of Aviation Lawyers (Transport: Aviation-Contentious)
- Named as a ‘Washington, D.C. Super Lawyer’
- Named as a one of ‘Washington DC & Baltimore’s Top Rated Lawyers,’
- Rated AV® Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell®
- National Law Journal “Defense Win of the Month,” May 2002
- Past Chair, DRI Aerospace Law Committee
- Past Member of DRI Public Policy Committee
- Past Editor, American Bar Association Aviation Litigation Quarterly
Community & Pro Bono
Jon focuses his pro bono efforts on the Mid-Atlantic Innocence Project, and, as a member of the Project’s Screening Committee, reviews claims of actual innocence by incarcerated persons. He also volunteers his time to Oasis, where he teaches senior citizens on uses of technology.
- American University, Washington College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
- Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, B.S.
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Mississippi