Denny Shupe’s practice focuses on aviation industry-related litigation, where he has for over three decades represented a wide range of domestic and international clients, including aircraft manufacturers, engine manufacturers, aircraft component manufacturers, airlines, other categories of aircraft operators, airports, repair stations, and fixed base operators. In addition to aviation industry litigation, his practice includes representations in other commercial, business litigation, and product liability matters.
Like others at Victor Rane, Denny brings to the practice of law extensive experience in, and knowledge of, the aviation industry. He is a retired Air Force command pilot, and served 23 years as an active duty and reserve Air Force officer. As a line and instructor pilot, he flew internationally and domestically, and logged over 4000 hours in T-41, T-37, T-38, and C-141 aircraft. While on active duty in the Air Force he also worked as an operations research analyst, as a squadron and flying wing executive officer, as a flying wing inspector general, and as the aide-de-camp for two general officers.
Denny is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, where he served as the Chair of its Special Problems in the Administration of Justice (U.S.) Committee. He also is a member of the International Association of Defense Counsel. Denny has been recognized as one of the leading aviation lawyers in the United States by Chambers USA, Legal 500 USA, Best Lawyers, Aviation Expert Guides and Who’s Who Legal Transport, including recognition as a Global Elite Thought Leader by Who’s Who Legal Transport.
- Fellow, American College of Trail Lawyers
- Recognized by Chambers USA for nationwide aviation litigation (Band 2)
- Recognized in “Hall of Fame” by Legal 500, Transport: Aviation and Air Travel – Litigation and Regulation
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America for Aviation Law
- Listed as Leading Aviation Attorney by Aviation Expert Guides
- Listed in Who’s Who Legal: Transport in Aviation Contentious category as a Leading Individual and as a Global Elite Thought Leader, and in WWL Thought Leaders: USA
- Recognized as a “Local Litigation Star” by Benchmark Litigation
- Named as a ‘Pennsylvania Super Lawyer’
- Rated AV® Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell®
- National Law Journal “Defense Win of the Month,” May 2002
- Past Chair, DRI Aerospace Law Committee
- U.S. President’s Call to Service Award Recipient from the President’s Council on Service and Civic Participation
- DRI National Community Service Award recipient
- Philadelphia Business Journal Veterans of Influence Award recipient
- Pennsylvania Bar Association’s Jeffrey A. Enrico Award recipient for lifetime pro bono service
- President, University of Pennsylvania Carey Law School Veterans Alumni Association
- Member, Alumni Board of Advisors, University of Pennsylvania Carey Law School
- Elected member, Aviation Insurance Association Eagle Society
Community & Pro Bono
Denny currently focuses his pro bono and community service activity in support of a variety of military veteran needs, including representation of veterans before the Veterans Administration.
- University of Pennsylvania Carey Law School, J.D., summa cum laude
- Arizona State University, M.B.A.
- United States Air Force Academy, B.S., with distinction
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Second, Third, Fourth, and Ninth Circuits
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Veteran Claims
- U.S. District Courts throughout the United States, including the District of Maryland and the Eastern and Middle Districts of Pennsylvania.